After a confident vote cast in Bamako – Mali’s capital town- Ibrahim Boubacar Keita has on August 15 won the Presidential run off in Mali.
The 68 year old President elect is not new to Mali’s political scene. He has served as the nation’s prime minister between 1994 and 2000.
It was high time sanity and a destiny of peace descended on strife torn Mali. Ravaged by a Northern rebellion, a coup and foreign military intervention, the Malians were fed up not only with the brewing separatist movement in the North but also with their shattered economy and the rampant corruption – a curse in almost all societies today.
The Malians took the opportunity of the democratic cudgel in their hands and gave their trusted leader the much needed legitimacy to enable their beloved nation to come out of the 18 month old mess and turbulence. Enough is enough; they echoed their united sentiments by voting the RPM [Rally for Mali] Party with its eye-catching slogan: “For Mali’s Honour”.
For Soumalia Cisse, Keita’s nearest political rival the moment after a defeat in the first round, it became a win-win situation as in the Presidential run off he opted to side not only with Keita but the majority of Mali voters who were naturally against a possible post-election crisis.
After the capture of Kidai, a town where the Tuareg rebels formed a majority and hold sway, when agreement was reached to allow elections covering the whole nation, the peaceful Presidential election has belied the cynical poll pundits that elections will lead to further chaos.
Assuredly enough now the real daunting task lies in front of Kadai to fulfil the election promises made – to unify Mali and to usher in peace and prosperity.
All eyes are now on Keita – reputed to be man of his word – to do just that!
- Keita wins Mali election after opponent concedes (thenewstribune.com)
- Keita wins Mali election after opponent concedes (news.yahoo.com)
- Keita holds commanding lead ahead of Mali vote (news.yahoo.com)
- Mali Counts Votes After Presidential Runoff (voanews.com)
- Keita wins Mali election after opponent concedes (kansascity.com)
- Ibrahim Boubacar Keita elected new President of war torn Mali (besuccessfulnews.wordpress.com)
- Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta wins Mali presidential runoff (theguardian.com)
- Keita wins Mali presidential election (rinf.com)
- Keita Holds Commanding Lead Ahead of Mali Vote (theepochtimes.com)
Good blog you’ve got here.. It’s hard to find good quality writing
like yours these days. I really appreciate individuals like you!
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your
useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely comeback.